Emirates Skywards is offering members a flash sale on purchased Skywards miles until the end of August 2020. You have the choice to buy miles for yourself or as a gift to others, and the minimum purchase is 5,000 miles.
Skywards miles rarely go on sale, so this is an interesting option to buy miles if you have an Emirates or Qantas reward flight in mind. As always, we recommend buying miles only if you have a specific goal planned, rather than speculatively purchasing miles for later.
Looking for some inspiration? Check out our guide to the seven best uses of Emirates Skywards miles.
The offer details: August 2020
This Skywards promotion is staggered into two stages.
It kicks off with a flat 35% off when you buy or gift Skywards Miles between 16 to 18 August 2020.
Then, the offer reverts to up to 25% off from 19 to 30 August, depending on the number of miles you purchase or gift:
- 15% discount: 5,000 to 24,000 miles
- 20% discount: 25,000 to 49,000 miles
- 25% discount: Above 50,000 miles
Obviously, the first phase of the offer is more lucrative, so you will need to get onto it sooner rather than later. The usual price of Skywards Miles is US$30 per 1,000 miles (i.e. 3 cents USD per point).
With this current promotion, the cost per Skywards Mile could drop as low as 1.95 cents USD per point with the 35% off discount. Click here and log-in to your Skywards account to purchase points.
Important things to note
Here are the key terms and conditions for the August 2020 offer (or consult the main offer page for the full terms and conditions):
- The combined maximum limit of Skywards Miles a member can purchase or be gifted in a calendar year has been reset. Platinum and Gold members can purchase up to 200,000 Skywards Miles, while Blue and Silver members can purchase up to 100,000 miles.
- Miles will be deposited within 48 hours of a successful transaction
- Your Skywards account needs to have at least one previous earning activity (e.g. from flights or other partners) to be able to purchase points. This means brand-new and inactive accounts are ineligible.
- This offer ends at 11:59pm on 30 August 2020 (GMT +4) — this ranges from 3:59am (WA) to 5:59am (QLD, NSW, VIC, TAS, ACT) on 31 August 2020.
Make sure there is reward seat availability for the seat you are eyeing off, on the Emirates Skywards website. Then you can purchase the points needed to top up your balance.
We aim to get at least 1.5c per-point value from Skywards Miles. Therefore, we would suggest you only buy points for a specific redemption rather than speculatively.
Although COVID-19 travel restrictions will mean many readers won’t be able to take advantage of this deal, the promo could still be useful in certain circumstances such as for domestic Qantas flights or for Emirates’ own flights if you need to fly in/out of Australia for some reason.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, Emirates Skywards miles can be purchased as long as your account has previous earning activity from flights or other program partners. Brand-new and inactive accounts are not eligible.
No, Skywards Tier Miles (used for status qualification) cannot be purchased. These can only be earned by flying. You can buy the ‘normal’ Skywards Miles used for flight redemptions.
The value of each Emirates Skywards mile depends on the manner you redeem it. You tend to get better value (in excess of 1.5 cents per point) when using miles for Business or First Class reward seats.