For the first few weeks of September 2020, Velocity Frequent Flyer is offering members bonus Velocity points when they transfer their points over from selected card and hotel rewards programs.
Every so often, Velocity offers bonus points when you transfer from one of its partner programs. It’s generally a great deal for those who had a specific Virgin Australia or partner flight redemption in mind.
What is the current bonus transfer offer?
Until 11:59pm AEST on 20 September 2020, Velocity members will receive 20% bonus Velocity Points when transferring rewards points from eligible banking and hotel partners. These include:
- American Express Membership Rewards
- NAB Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy
- Accor Live Limitless
- IHG Rewards Club
- Hilton Honors
- Shangri-La Golden Circle
- Choice Privileges
Minimum points transfer thresholds and transfer timeframes will still apply, depending on the rules of each rewards partner.
Sometimes knowing how Velocity has run this offer in the past may help you to decide if you should take advantage of it now. Here are the last two years of offer history:
- September 2020: 20% bonus for most bank and hotel reward programs
- July 2020: 15-20% bonus for flybuys
- February 2020: 15% bonus for most Amex Card Members; 20% bonus + status upgrade for Platinum and Centurion Card Members; 15-20% bonus for flybuys [targeted]
- December 2019: 15% bonus for flybuys
- November 2019: 15% bonus for most bank rewards programs, flybuys and KrisFlyer; 30% for ANZ
- July-August 2019: 15% bonus for most Amex Card Members; 20% bonus for Platinum and Centurion Card Members
- June 2019: 15% bonus for flybuys
- May 2019: 15-25% bonus for most bank rewards programs; 15% for flybuys; 20% for hotel loyalty programs; 25% for CommBank; 50% for ANZ
- March 2019: 11% bonus for flybuys (targeted?); 15-25% bonus for Amex Membership Rewards Card Members
Why should I use a Velocity transfer promotion?
We’re a big fan of transfer promotions from flexible reward programs to Velocity Frequent Flyer, particularly when the offer is 20% more points or higher and you have a specific flight goal in mind.
The bonus points usually credit instantly alongside the main stash of points you transfer over, so you don’t have to wait around for it to show up.
If you’re planning on making a transfer to empty out one of your bank rewards program or flybuys account, then you’ll probably want to wait as late as possible in the promo period to ensure you can transfer the most possible points.
These Velocity promotions are usually a great deal if you have a stash of credit card or hotel program points you know you want to transfer over to Velocity. Virgin Australia is recovering from voluntary administration, so hopefully, the flight options will increase in the new future.
If you have no short-term plans to redeem points with Velocity, then it is probably not worth making the transfer though. The loss in the flexibility of your points — because can’t be transferred back — is not usually worth picking up the bonus.
20% bonuses are increasingly common now, so expect to see more deals like this down the track even if you don’t want to transfer points to Velocity right now due to uncertainty or not being able to travel.