UPDATE 2 MAY 2021 | In the latest show of confidence for Velocity Frequent Flyer, transfer partners ANZ and HSBC will once again resume points transfers from the respective bank programs to Velocity. It has been more than a year since those transfer were paused, amid the uncertainty of Virgin Australia’s future at the time.
What is the current bonus transfer offer?
|Expiry: 31 May 2021|
For the month of May 2021, earn from 15 to 30% bonus Velocity Points when you transfer from selected bank partners.
|15% bonus||20% bonus||30% bonus|
Bank of Melbourne
(Platinum and Centurion cards only)
(Comprises of 15% bonus + extra 15% bonus)
See the Velocity Frequent Flyer website for T&Cs and more detailed info on how to transfer points from your favourite rewards program. Minimum transfer amounts may apply.
Sometimes knowing how Velocity has run this offer in the past may help you to decide if you should take advantage of it now. Here are the last two years of offer history:
- May 2021: 15-30% bonus for most bank programs
- November 2020: 15-40% bonus + 50 bonus Status Credits for most bank and hotel rewards programs, plus 15% bonus for flybuys
- September 2020: 20% bonus for most bank and hotel reward programs
- July 2020: 15-20% bonus for flybuys
- February 2020: 15% bonus for most Amex Card Members; 20% bonus + status upgrade for Platinum and Centurion Card Members; 15-20% bonus for flybuys [targeted]
- December 2019: 15% bonus for flybuys
- November 2019: 15% bonus for most bank rewards programs, flybuys and KrisFlyer; 30% for ANZ
- July-August 2019: 15% bonus for most Amex Card Members; 20% bonus for Platinum and Centurion Card Members
- June 2019: 15% bonus for flybuys
- May 2019: 15-25% bonus for most bank rewards programs; 15% for flybuys; 20% for hotel loyalty programs; 25% for CommBank; 50% for ANZ
Why should I use a Velocity transfer promotion?
We’re a big fan of transfer promotions from flexible reward programs to Velocity Frequent Flyer, particularly when the offer is 20% more points or higher and you have a specific flight goal in mind.
The bonus points usually credit instantly alongside the main stash of points you transfer over, so you don’t have to wait around for it to show up.
If you’re planning on making a transfer to empty out one of your bank rewards program or flybuys account, then you’ll probably want to wait as late as possible in the promo period to ensure you can transfer the most possible points.
These Velocity promotions are usually a great deal if you have a stash of credit card or hotel program points you know you want to transfer over to Velocity. Virgin Australia is gradually boosting flights across Australia now and over to New Zealand in the latter half of 2021.
If you have no short-term plans to redeem points with Velocity, then you might want to keep your points parked for now. But do note that Velocity usually runs two big transfer promos a year: in May and November.