American Express runs at least one Shop Small promotion each year, usually in November, to encourage spending at local merchants.
Whilst you can only use this offer half the number of times as with November 2016’s promo, there is still good value to be had in receiving a $10 credit on your account each time you spend $20 or more at up to five different participating small businesses between 1 and 30 November.
It seems that Amex is reducing the amount of money invested in this promotion, as this is the only one run this year compared to three last year.
If you spend $20 or more in one transaction at a participating business, you will receive a $10 credit to your account.
This offer can be used one time each at five different participating businesses. The range of included retailers is, as usual, very broad, so you should be able to find somewhere close to you that would fit within your normal spend patterns.
Note that unlike in some previous promotions, you can no longer use this credit to top up Opal public transport cards in Sydney.
The small print
Make sure your card is eligible:
- Amex cards issued by American Express themselves; or
- Amex cards issued by CommBank, NAB or Westpac; or
- Amex cards that receive a targeted email offer.
The following cards are not eligible: American Express Business Travel Accounts, Corporate Cards, Corporate Meeting Cards, Corporate Purchasing Cards, David Jones Storecards Government Cards, Global Travel Cards and Business Cards that are affiliated with a wholesaler partner.
Online and gift card purchases are ineligible.
The offer is limited to the first 100,000 cards registered, so register now at shopsmallaustralia.com or through the Amex app for cardholders of American Express-issued cards.
Registration is open until the end of the promotion on 30 November.
Amex says the credits usually appear on your account within five business days, with up to three months as a maximum.
- November 2017 (current offer): Spend $20, get $10 back up to five times during full month
- November 2016: Spend $20, get $10 back up to ten times during full month
- September 2016: Spend $60, get $30 back up to three times during 16-18 September
- May 2016: Spend $60, get $30 back up to three times during 14-15 September
- November 2015: Spend $20, get $10 back up to ten times during full month
- August 2014: Spend $20, get $5 back up to ten times during full month
- November 2013: Spend $20, get $10 back up to five times during 23-30 November
American Express’ Shop Small promotions are a good way for both consumers to save money as well as help out small businesses.