American Express Shop Small is back – and once again – it’s a slimmed-down competition. We’ve previously seen Shop Small dish out statement credits or a year of triple points. But since 2022, that’s all gone. Now, just ten lucky winners will win a share of 10 million points (that’s 1 million points each).
Our full guide to American Express Shop Small promotions is shown below, updated for the details of this offer.
A guide to American Express’ Shop Small promotions
American Express runs at least one Shop Small promotion each year, usually in November, to encourage spending at local merchants. Previous promotions have revolved around small credits whenever you shop, but it’s completely different in 2023.
You can register for this year’s promotion on this page. You can also save this offer to your card by navigating to Amex Offers in your account or the Amex mobile app.
You’ll get an entry every time you spend at least AU$1 at a participating business. The range of included retailers is, as usual, very broad — check the map here. You should be able to find somewhere close to you that would fit within your normal spending patterns. Thousands of businesses are participating in this year’s Shop Small, including the many smaller businesses that use Square payment terminals.
If you win, you’ll get 1 million points in the ‘rewards currency’ your Amex card earns in – either Qantas Points, Velocity Points or Membership Rewards.
How do I sign up for Shop Small?
If you already have an American Express online account:
- Log in to your American Express online account.
- Scroll down to the section ‘Amex Offers’.
- Find the Shop Small offer and click ‘Save to Card’.
- You are now enrolled in Shop Small for this year. Shop by 30 November 2023 to be in the draw.
If you have an American Express card and want to enrol manually:
- Visit the enrolment page for the 2023 Shop Small offer.
- Enter your name, email and card details.
- Click ‘Save to Card’. You are now enrolled in Shop Small. Shop by 30 November 2023 to be in the draw.
Not yet an American Express cardholder?
The ever-popular American Express Platinum Edge earns up to three Membership Rewards points earned per AU$1 spent at major supermarkets and petrol stations.
Or check out the American Express Explorer card with lounge access perks and a solid two Membership Rewards points per $1 spent on just about anything.
Both cards also come with complimentary insurance. Plus, if you apply, are approved and receive your card in time, you could still participate in this year’s Shop Small competition.
- November 2023: Win 1 of 10 prizes of 1 million Qantas, Velocity or MR points.
- November 2022: Win 1 of 10 prizes of 1 million Qantas, Velocity or MR points.
- April 2021: 3 bonus points per $1 spent, up to 40,000 points from 1 April 2021 to 31 March 2022.
- June 2020: Spend $10, get $5 back up to ten times from 10 June – 31 August 2020.
- November 2019: Spend $20, get $10 back up to five times during the full month.
- November 2018: Spend $20, get $10 back up to five times during the full month.
- November 2017: Spend $20, get $10 back up to five times during the full month.
- November 2016: Spend $20, get $10 back up to ten times during the full month.
- September 2016: Spend $60, get $30 back up to three times from 16 – 18 September.
- May 2016: Spend $60, get $30 back up to three times from 14 – 15 September.
- November 2015: Spend $20, get $10 back up to ten times during the full month.
- August 2014: Spend $20, get $5 back up to ten times during the full month.
- November 2013: Spend $20, get $10 back up to five times from 23 – 30 November.
American Express Shop Small promotions are a small incentive for consumers to earn extra rewards and help small businesses. You can find more information on the Shop Small page.
Unfortunately, American Express has really devalued the offer both last year and this year. Looking back at the cashback and bonus points offers we used to get, a chance to win one million points just isn’t as enticing. Of course, it doesn’t hurt to enrol. But I daresay this year’s Shop Small isn’t going to change anyone’s spending habits significantly.