A beginner’s guide to understanding the program
Velocity Frequent Flyer is Virgin Australia’s official loyalty program. With over 8 million Velocity members, it is the second-most popular in Australia (after Qantas Frequent Flyer).
The Velocity Frequent Flyer program allows you to easily earn points through many avenues, including credit cards, flights, insurance, fuel, accommodation, shopping and more. The loyalty program also offers bonus point promotions which are useful for those who live in Australia and fly on Virgin Australia and its partners like Delta Air Lines, Singapore Airlines and Etihad Airways.
Similar to other programs, once you’ve earned enough points these can be redeemed for award flights, merchandise and other travel perks. This guide is ground zero for those who are just starting off with the Velocity Frequent Flyer program. Read on for how to join the Velocity program, earn as many points as you can, and use them for maximum value.
In this guide you will learn:
How do I join Velocity Frequent Flyer?
Signing up to Velocity is free and only takes a couple of minutes—just follow this link.
- Enter your email address and password
- Fill in your personal details including name (according to passport), date of birth, address (home or business) and preferred contact number
- Select and answer a security question as well as a four-digit pin
- Look out for a welcome email with your Velocity membership number
And congratulations, you are now a Velocity Frequent Flyer member!
How do I earn Velocity Points?
The two quickest ways to earn Velocity Points are by:
- signing up for a credit card with a large sign-up bonus
- using a high Velocity Points-earning credit card on an ongoing basis
There are a number of other ways to earn bonus Velocity Points, including by:
- registering for bonus points promotions
- swiping your flybuys card at Coles
- transferring your credit card points over with a bonus
- shopping online through the Velocity eStore
- booking hotels
- signing up to a mobile phone or data plan with Optus
- shopping with your Visa card at participating small businesses
- purchasing wine through Virgin Wines
- requesting rideshares through Ola (instead of Uber or ingogo)
- making a Fare Promise claim
- buying furniture at freedom
- read here for more ideas
You may want to consider pooling your Velocity Points with your family members to get closer to your travel goals.
How do I redeem Velocity Points?
This is what you can expect on most domestic Business Class flights:
whilst if you are flying between the East and West Coasts or overseas, you’ll get a lie-flat seat.
You may choose to fly in Singapore Airlines’ excellent Business Class:
or even have a hot shower whilst flying in an Etihad First Apartment.
If you are looking for more inspiration, check out our best uses of points series.
If you have some points that are expiring or have no use for, you also have the option to donate your Velocity Points through the Velocity Rewards Store.
Many people aim to play the upgrade lottery, but if you don’t have status (explained below), your chances of securing a Business Class seat are reduced.
Lost as to how to start your search for an award seat? Check out this post.
Holding Velocity Gold or Platinum status is the key to unlocking a raft of premium perks with Virgin Australia and its partners, such as complimentary upgrades, lounge access, and priority check-in and boarding.
The Velocity app
The Velocity Frequent Flyer app is a great way to track your points, view your membership status and search your redemption opportunities. Both iOS and Android users can download the Velocity Frequent Flyer app. The Apple version is more highly rated by users than the Google version.
Within the app, you can:
- Check your Velocity Points balance
- Use the Explore function to see where your points can take you
- Track your progress to the next status tier
- Show your digital membership card for lounge access (elite members only)
- Add your Velocity number to existing bookings
- Edit your personal details
Unfortunately, you cannot:
- Book reward flights
To get in touch with Velocity Frequent Flyer about a membership enquiry or flight redemption, try one of the numbers below:
- Australia: 13 18 75
- New Zealand: 0800 230 875
- Overseas: +61 2 8667 5924
If you live in Australia and fly or are interested in flying Virgin Australia, then the Velocity Frequent Flyer program is one worth signing up for.
Velocity Points can be used both on Virgin Australia and its partner airlines and are most quickly earned by signing up for one of these credit cards.
Do you know someone who might get some use out of the Velocity program but needs a little help? Share this guide using the social media buttons below!