If you travel with someone else in Premium Economy on the same flight, you can pick up Gold status in just one trip. Plus, you’ll enjoy the benefits even prior to your trip.
I received notification of this offer by email and have checked the terms and conditions to see that it is not targeted. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find a page on the Velocity website for this offer, so if you are interested, perhaps check your inbox for more details or contact Velocity to double-check you are eligible.
Why is Velocity Gold status valuable?
When you have Gold status with Velocity, you will enjoy the following benefits on Virgin Australia and its partner airlines:
- Lounge access
- Premium Entry at Sydney and Brisbane Airports
- Extra baggage allowance (usually one extra checked bag)
- Use of Business Class check-in counters (even when flying Economy)
- Priority boarding
- Priority standby lists
- Expedited security and passport control lanes (at some airports)
- 75% bonus points when flying with Virgin Australia
- 50% bonus points when flying with Etihad
To obtain Gold membership, you need to earn 500 Status Credits and fly four eligible sectors (read: Virgin Australia-marketed flights) in a 12-month period. The itinerary below meets these criterion.
To maintain (or extend) Gold membership for another year, you need to earn 400 Status Credits and fly four eligible sectors within the first year.
Once you have Gold status with one frequent flyer program, you can status match to others.
If you book two return Premium Economy airfares to Los Angeles with Virgin Australia, you will be upgraded to Velocity Gold Status before you fly.
I flew Virgin Australia Premium Economy from Sydney to Los Angeles about six months ago and enjoyed the superb food and a comfortable seat but thought there could be improvements to the speed of service and inflight entertainment.
I am currently seeing fares starting at $2900 from Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. Read below to see how you can earn 1% cashback on your purchase.
How to take advantage of this offer
To receive an upgrade to Gold Velocity membership for 12 months:
- Book a return flight in Premium Economy Class to LA and enter your Velocity membership number at time of booking
- There must be two or more Velocity members in the same booking
- Allow ten days between booking your flight and travelling on the flight to allow Velocity enough time to upgrade you to Pilot Gold
- Once you have taken your flight, you will be upgraded to Velocity Gold status
- Travel between 9 April 2018 and 30 November 2018 inclusive
- Must be booked by 20 May 2018 at 11:59pm AEST
- Travel must be a return international flight from Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane to Los Angeles operated by Virgin Australia in Premium Economy Class with one of the following flight numbers: VA1, VA2, VA6, VA7, VA8, VA9, VA23 and VA24
- Not valid on codeshare flights on airlines like Delta
- If you cancel your flights, you will be downgraded back to your original Velocity status
You may wish to join Cashrewards for free and click through to the Virgin Australia website to earn cashback.
Supplementary images courtesy respective airlines and frequent flyer programs.