SilkAir is Singapore Airlines’ main low-cost subsidiary and falls under the same award chart as its parent.
SilkAir flies direct to Singapore from Darwin four times each week (4½ hours) and Cairns daily (6 hours); Singapore Airlines serves the other major airports in Australia – Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide and Canberra.
The airline primarily operates single-aisle Boeing 737 aircraft with full-service Business Class and Economy, similar to what you’d find on Qantas and Virgin Australia‘s comparable fleet. The image above showcases what SilkAir Business Class looks like.
If you’re flying on an Airbus A319 or A320, you’ll get more legroom than on the 737.
The current promotion
- Book before 12 July 2017
- For travel between 1 July and 31 October 2017
- No date changes permitted
- One-way and return trips both eligible for discount
- Economy and Business Class redemptions
- Singapore Airlines no longer applies fuel surcharges on SilkAir flights
- You can book one single ticket via Singapore to any of the destinations included in the list, i.e. they don’t have to be two separate redemptions
The discount is automatically applied on the KrisFlyer website
Destinations on sale
A lot of destinations in the SilkAir network are discounted, with some notable ones being:
- Koh Samui
- Chiang Mai
- Siem Reap
- Kuala Lumpur
Example redemptions from Australia
A one-way Business Class redemption from Cairns usually costs 58,000 KrisFlyer miles, but with this promotion, it drops to 29,000 miles.
As it is the only carrier operating on the route, a cash ticket costs at least $2700, meaning that you are getting 9 cents per point value, well above our valuation of KrisFlyer miles at 1.6 cents each.
An Economy Class ticket on this route retails from $600, meaning the 14,000 miles needed with the promotion gets you half of that value on a per-point basis.
Darwin falls into a cheaper award zone, with a one-way Business Class redemption costing 16,250 miles and Economy Class just 10,000 miles.
Taxes from both Darwin and Cairns are ~$90 AUD with no fuel surcharges.
How to get the discount
- Log in to your KrisFlyer account
- Select ‘Book a Flight’ on your dashboard
- Click ‘Redeem flights’ and select your travel details
- Discount will be automatically applied to selected dates
- June-June 2017 (current offer): 50% off Business and Economy Class redemptions
- October 2016: 50% off Business and Economy Class redemptions
- July-August 2016: 50% off Business and Economy Class redemptions
Up until March 2017, the (now discontinued) 15% online booking discount meant that the 35% promotional discount amounted to 50% in total.