Starwood are regrading a wide range of properties for SPG award night redemption in March for the rest of 2012. The full list is here (pdf) and it’s not great news for Australia and Fiji.
This content contains affiliate links, through which Point Hacks may earn commissions from transactions such as new customers, bookings and enquiries. Further information on our advertising policy can be found here.
The following hotels are all going up a category, meaning increased points needed to make a redemption.
- Four Points by Sheraton Sydney (was Category 4, now Category 5)
- Sheraton Mirage Resort and Spa Gold Coast (was Category 4, now Category 5)
- Sheraton Fiji Resort (was Category 3, now Category 4)
- Sheraton Denarau Villas, Fiji (was Category 3, now Category 4)
- The Westin Resort Nusa Dua, Bali (was Category 4, now Category 5)
- The Laguna Resort & Spa, Nusa Dua, Bali (was Category 4, now Category 5)
There no hotels in Australia, or close by, moving down a Category.
I assume the Australian changes are due to the increased strength of the Aussie dollar, meaning SPG have to pay the property more relatively for award night stays.
Book before 1st March if you’re planning a future stay, and even if you’re just considering one – you can always change your mind for a refund AFAIK on all SPG Award night stays.