This is a super cheap deal to fly direct to Kunming, the gateway to the beautiful province of Yunnan in southern China.
China Eastern has been aggressively expanding its services between Sydney and China and will have nonstop services to four destinations by the end of the year: Shanghai, Nanjing, Hangzhou and Kunming.
Other services between Sydney and the Chinese mainland include:
- Qantas: Shanghai and Beijing (from 25 January 2017)
- Virgin Australia: will launch a service from Australia to Beijing mid-2017, but may not be from Sydney
- Air China: Beijing, Shanghai and Chengdu
- China Southern: Guangzhou and Shenzhen
- Hainan Airlines: Changsha and Xian
- Sichuan Airlines: Chongqing
- XiamenAir: Fuzhou and Xiamen
Although part of the SkyTeam alliance, you can earn Qantas Points on flights with China Eastern, but for discounted flights this cheap, we would expect the earn rates to be very low or zero.
Note that you will need enough time to apply for your Chinese tourist visa beforehand, unless you are only staying 72 hours maximum on your way to another international destination other than China. Consult the Chinese Embassy or Consulate closest to you.
Yunnan Province. Image: Flickr.
Dates: 24 November 2016 to March 2017
Airlines: China Eastern
Cost: From $336 in Economy
Sydney to Kunming return for $336:
Booking link: Go to Expedia to do your search and make your booking.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. Fares may disappear quickly, so we suggest booking as soon as you are confident in your travel dates.