I’ll keep this one short as I’ve posted a few times about this deal in the past, and it just keeps coming up – even when I think it surely has to be the last time. So, until end of Friday, US Airways are offering a 100% bonus on purchased miles at the 30,000 to 50,000 mile level, yielding miles at just over 1.8c (USD) per mile. You’ll need to have an account with US Airways already to take advantage of the deal.
Some things to consider / links to explore:
- The link to the buy miles page is here
- My thoughts on how to use this to book cheap Star Alliance business class travel are here
- The US Airways and American Airlines merger has been approved, with US Airways existing Star Alliance by March
- The potential transfer of miles between programs may be possible around the same time
- However, there’s no guarantee that there won’t be hiccups with mileage redemptions or award chart changes in the meantime, either with American or US Airways.
I’d only buy miles if you know you’ll use them imminently for Star Alliance travel under the current US Airways award chart – buying miles speculatively, I think I’d find this too risky.