About every three months, Cathay Pacific’s Asia Miles frequent flyer program discounts by 20% redemptions for last-minute award seats on select routes in Business, Premium Economy and Economy Class.
Until 31 January 2017, you can get 20% off redemptions in Business and Economy Class on flights from Cathay’s Hong Kong hub to select European, US West Coast and South Asian cities for travel until June 2017.
Eligible flights include those between Hong Kong and the following European and US cities:
- London (Gatwick and Heathrow)
- Los Angeles
- San Francisco
There are also a number of cities in South Asia:
Do note that some routes don’t offer discount redemptions in either Economy or Business Class, that you must select specific flight numbers, and that the eligible dates depend on the destination. So do check out the full details on the offer page here.
You need to book through the link above to access the offer.
Example: Hong Kong to Zurich
A one-way Business Class redemption is reduced from 60,000 to 48,000 Asia Miles, whilst an Economy Class redemption drops from 30,000 to 24,000 miles.
Our take on the offer
You’ll need to redeem on some specific flight numbers, but this is especially good for a short-term trip on Cathay’s excellent Business Class, which when booked using Asia Miles (versus Qantas Points), is already keenly priced without the 20% discount.
The appeal of this redemption offer will very much depend on award availability for the set flight numbers included in the promo, but you would have to assume that if Cathay is trying to drum up some extra business with a discount, there will be some award availability.
- January 2017 (current offer): 20% off Business and Economy redemptions from Hong Kong to select European, US West Coast and South Asian cities
- November 2016: 20% off Business and Premium Economy redemptions from Adelaide and onward to select Asian cities
- April 2016: 20% off Business and Premium Economy from Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide and Cairns, and onward to London, Manchester, Dusseldorf, Osaka and Hiroshima
- January 2016: 20% off Business and Premium Economy from Brisbane, Adelaide and Cairns, and onward to Paris, Manchester and Dusseldorf
- October 2015: 20% off Business to Düsseldorf, and Premium Economy to Paris and Zurich
Asia Miles are pretty proactive in offering discounts and bonuses to incentivise travel and points redemptions, which is a good thing.
Asia Miles is a transfer partner of Altitude Rewards, Membership Rewards, ANZ Rewards and Citi Rewards for Prestige cardholders. There is a full set of guides to earning and using Asia Miles right here on Point Hacks.