Round-the-world trips with Virgin brand airlines are historically hard to come by but this deal gets you stopovers in the US, London and Hong Kong and earns all the benefits of Velocity Gold status in one hit.
This deal is valid for travel from now until June 2019, and the sale ends on 30 September.
Why is Velocity Gold status valuable?
When you have Gold status with Velocity, you will enjoy the following benefits on Virgin Australia and its partner airlines:
- Lounge access
- Premium Entry at Sydney and Brisbane Airports
- Extra baggage allowance (usually one extra checked bag)
- Use of Business Class check-in counters (even when flying Economy)
- Priority boarding
- Priority standby lists
- Expedited security and passport control lanes (at some airports)
- 75% bonus points when flying with Virgin Australia
- 50% bonus points when flying with Etihad
To obtain Gold membership, you need to earn 500 Status Credits and fly four eligible sectors (read: Virgin Australia-marketed flights) in a 12-month period. The itinerary below meets these criterion.
To maintain (or extend) Gold membership for another year, you need to earn 400 Status Credits and fly four eligible sectors within the first year.
Once you have Gold status with one frequent flyer program, you can status match to others.
You’ll fly Virgin Australia Business Class between Australia and Hong Kong, Australia and Los Angeles, and any applicable domestic Australian flights.
Virgin Australia’s flights to/from Los Angeles and Hong Kong feature The Business product in a 1-2-1 configuration
You’ll fly Virgin Atlantic Upper (Business) Class between its London hub and the US and Hong Kong.
Virgin Atlantic’s flights to/from London are in Upper Class in a unique 1-1-1 configuration
- Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane to Los Angeles on Virgin Australia – to London on Virgin Atlantic – to Hong Kong on Virgin Atlantic – to Sydney/Melbourne on Virgin Australia
- If you are in another Australian capital city, you can add a connecting flight to Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane on each end in Virgin Australia Business Class
- This routing can also be in reverse, i.e. Asia first and the US last
- Hong Kong is the only stopover option in Asia, London the only in Europe and LA the only arrival point if flying from Australia or departure point if flying to Australia
- That means that for your flight between London and the US, you can choose to fly to/from any of Virgin Atlantic’s US destinations, including LA, San Francisco, Seattle, Las Vegas, Atlanta, Orlando, Miami, Washington DC, New York or Boston, however, you will need to make your own way to/from LA for your flight to/from Australia
- If that is confusing, the examples below clear it up
Status Credits earn
All trips will earn at least 500 SCs, i.e. Gold, and those departing from Perth can earn 780 SCs.
- Routing: Sydney – Los Angeles // New York – London – Hong Kong – Sydney
- Total price: from $6,118
- Velocity Status Credits earn: 560 SCs
- Routing: Melbourne – Hong Kong – London – Las Vegas // Los Angeles – Brisbane – Melbourne
- Total price: from $6,162
- Velocity Status Credits earn: 660 SCs
- Routing: Perth – Melbourne – Hong Kong – London – Los Angeles – Sydney – Perth
- Total price: from $6,139
- Velocity Status Credits earn: 780 SCs (well on your way to Velocity Platinum status achievable at 1,000 SCs)
- Valid for departures from 10 September 2018 until 30 June 2019
- Reservations and ticketing permitted until 30 September 2018
- Valid for departure from all Australian capital cities
- One domestic transfer permitted in each direction
- Codeshare services not permitted