Singapore Airlines’ KrisFlyer program is one of our favourites here at Points Hacks—and it might be one of yours too. You may want to book a great Business, First or Suites Class redemption for a friend or family member.
We received the following question in the Community section of our website:
Does KrisFlyer allow a member to book an award ticket for another family member using one person’s miles?
Can you use KrisFlyer miles to book a ticket for someone else?
Yes, you can! You can add up to five people as your redemption nominees and they can be anyone. It’s free to add nominees and you can do so online. However, once you reach the five-person limit, you’ll need to pay cash or miles to change your nominees.
Here are a couple of things to keep in mind:
- After adding someone, you can’t remove them for six months
- A child or infant counts as a nominee
- Removing a nominee online will cost you US$30 or 3,000 KrisFlyer miles (it costs more over the phone; less if you have elite status)
How to add a redemption nominee to your KrisFlyer account
- Log in to your KrisFlyer account
- Click on Profile
- Click on Redemption nominees
- Select + Add nominee
- Enter their name, date of birth and passport number
- Choose whether they will be an ‘authorised nominee’
An authorised nominee can make redemption bookings and changes on your behalf. This is optional.
The good news is that you can use your hard-earned KrisFlyer miles to book travel for other people. However, there is a limit of five people as redemption nominees at any one time. Furthermore, you need to pay cash or miles to remove anyone off your list.
Remember that KrisFlyer miles have a hard expiry of three years from when they were earned. That means that if you have some miles expiring soon and can’t travel yourself, it might be worth adding someone as a redemption nominee and gifting them a trip.