Etihad Guest is an excellent frequent flyer program for accessing cheap Business Class redemptions on Virgin Australia.
For each member who joins under your Family Membership account and completes one earning activity, you’ll receive 500 bonus Etihad Guest miles on top of the miles earned from that activity.
Currently, you receive the 500 bonus miles after completing one earning activity but, effective 8 October 2017, that earn activity must be a flight with Etihad Airways, Air Serbia or Air Seychelles specifically.
In this guide, we start with important things to be aware of, outline the benefits of pooling your points with family members, and give step-by-step instructions on how to set up a Family Membership with Etihad Guest.
Important things to be aware of
- Joining Etihad Guest requires you to activate your account by email, meaning that you will need to have active email addresses for all family members
- The 500 miles welcome bonus for each member is only credited after their first earn activity with Etihad Guest, which is most likely to be an Etihad or Virgin Australia flight but can be with any airline, hotel or car hire partner
Benefits of a Family Membership
The two main benefits of a Family Membership are:
- All Etihad Guest miles earned by any member of the family are pooled into the Family Head’s account
- Miles can be used by any member of the family
Tier miles (which determine status) remain on an individual level.
One of the sweet spots for Etihad Guest redemptions on Virgin Australia is only 13,800 miles for a one-way Business Class flight from Sydney to Queenstown
How to create a Family Membership
- Step 1: Make sure that you yourself are signed up for your own individual Etihad Guest membership
- Step 2: Sign each family member up for an individual account through this link
- Step 3: Log in to your account through the Family Membership page
- Step 4: As Family Head, nominate up to eight Family Guests to join you by inputting their relationship to you, account name and Etihad Guest number. Here are the eligible relationship types:
Although perhaps not as culturally common in Australia as in the Gulf countries, you could use the ‘Householdhelp’ option to include members who may not traditionally be defined as part of your family.
Do note that you do need to tick a box agreeing to the term that:
I am aware that Etihad Airways reserves the right to audit the relationships claimed by any Family Head and will from time to time request for documented proof of the relationships
Etihad doesn’t provide any information on what documents this may include, though.
Etihad Guest offers great-value redemptions on both their own airline and Virgin Australia and setting up a Family Membership with up to eight other people can help you to build your balance more quickly for your next award flight.