One of flybuys’ biggest partners is Velocity Frequent Flyer, the loyalty program of Virgin Australia. You can swap flybuys points for Velocity Points and redeem them for flights, even in Business and First Class.
The standard rate is 2,000 flybuys points to 870 Velocity Points. There are a few 15% transfer offers a year, which bumps it up to 1,000 Velocity Points.
This content contains affiliate links, through which Point Hacks may earn commissions from transactions such as new customers, bookings and enquiries. Further information on our advertising policy can be found here.
How to transfer flybuys points to Velocity
- Make sure your Velocity account is linked to flybuys already. You’ll find the details in our flybuys Ultimate Guide.
- Login to your flybuys account and go to ‘Rewards’, then ‘Travel & Fun’. Click on the tab ‘Velocity Frequent Flyer Points’ or just click on this link.
- Choose the number of flybuys points you want to convert to Velocity Points. It must be in multiples of 2,000 Flybuys Points. Any transfer bonuses won’t show up here, so don’t worry.
- The points will usually be transferred instantly. Go to your Velocity Frequent Flyer account and check the activity history. Any transfer bonuses will show up here now.
- That’s it! Enjoy your Velocity Points.
With your Velocity Points, you can redeem it for flights on Virgin Australia and partner airlines. Read our best uses of Velocity Points.
Flybuys transfer offers
As mentioned before, flybuys usually has a few bonus transfer offers each year. The standard amount is 15%, but it can be as high as 30% on rare occasions. You will get an email about the offer or it may show up in the flybuys app.
Flybuys is currently offering up to 20% bonus Velocity Points on all transfers from flybuys until 31 July 2020.
I recommend keeping your flybuys points locked away until there is a Velocity transfer bonus and you have a flight redemption in mind.
With the right redemptions (i.e. Business or First Class flights), you could be getting more than 2c of value per flybuys point.
How much are flybuys points worth?
It’s hard to pin down a value for flybuys points, as that depends on what you use them for. As a base reference, 2,000 flybuys points is always equal to $10 off at Coles, so that’s a fixed 0.5 cents a point.
But you can definitely get more value out of flybuys points through Velocity. Take an example booking I have in the future, flying Perth to Melbourne one-way in Business Class with 35,500 Velocity Points and $31.43 in taxes.
To book it, I transferred 72,000 flybuys points to 36,018 Velocity Points including a 15% bonus, instead of the usual 31,320 points.
Now, 72,000 flybuys points is equal to $360 flybuys dollars to spend at Coles and other shops, which doesn’t sound too bad at all. That’s 0.5 cents per point.
For my particular flight, the equivalent and cheapest cash fare is $1,299 one-way. Minus the taxes paid on the reward flight, that gives my flybuys points a theoretical value of 3.57 cents per point, or more than seven times what I would get at the checkout.
(For those interested, the sum is [$1,299 – $31.43] ÷ 35,500 × 100 to get the answer in cents per point).
Now, I fully understand that this ‘theoretical points model’ doesn’t take into account the fact that I (and most individuals) would hesitate to spend $1,299 on a one-way Business Class domestic flight. In that case, the points valuation for you may be slightly different (lower) than the theoretical value.
Other uses of flybuys points: flybuys dollars
In the off-chance you don’t want to transfer flybuys points to Velocity, you could convert them to flybuys dollars at a fixed rate of 0.5 cents per point. This means 2,000 flybuys points is equal to $10.
While we don’t recommend doing this if you can transfer to Velocity and use it for a flight, we understand that you might simply not have any travel in mind for the time being, especially during travel restrictions imposed due to COVID-19.
If you want flybuys dollars instead, follow these steps:
- First, go to ‘My Account’ and set up a PIN for flybuys dollars. This is because you will swipe your flybuys card to redeem flybuys dollars, and need a PIN to authorise the transactions.
- On the main page, go to ‘Rewards’, then ‘Money Off Shop’. Click on flybuys dollars or just navigate straight to this page.
- Tick the box agreeing to the terms and conditions, then click ‘Get it now’ to convert 2,000 flybuys points into $10. You can do this step multiple times as your balance allows.
- You now have flybuys dollars ready to spend at various retailers as shown in the screenshot above. Make sure to have your physical flybuys card and PIN handy. Check your flybuys dollars balance here.
Flybuys points are very versatile and can be used for flights or shopping. While we always recommend changing to Velocity Points when there is an offer on, you do have the option for flybuys dollars.
Ultimately, the choice comes down to your future planned travel and personal circumstances. It’s always best to leave flybuys points unredeemed in your account until you’re sure of your next move.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, we believe in most cases it’s worth transferring flybuys points to Velocity if you have travel in mind and can find the reward seats to redeem it on, especially for Business and First class flights.
Read the guide above for step-by-step instructions on how to convert flybuys points to Velocity.
As a base reference, 2,000 flybuys points is always equal to $10 off at Coles, so that’s a fixed 0.5 cents a point if you’re using it for flybuys dollars.
If you had 16,000 flybuys points and converted it to 8,000 Velocity Points during a 15% transfer bonus, and then used those points to redeem a short flight normally worth $200, then that is theoretically 1.25 cents per flybuys point of value, which is much better value!