Qantas Money doesn’t want you to choose between a home or a holiday. You could have both with a home loan that rewards you with 100,000 Qantas Points every year for the life of the loan (up to 30 years). In other words, you could earn up to 3 million Qantas Points over a 30-year loan, while paying off your house.
That’s a neat bonus in your Qantas Frequent Flyer account. After just over two years of paying the loan, you’d have enough for two return Business Class tickets between Australia and destinations in Asia, such as Singapore and Hong Kong (that’s 259,200 Qantas Points + taxes, total). Plus, it could get you two-thirds of the way to unlocking Points Club each year, which unlocks a range of extra benefits.
It’s available to refinancers as well as those purchasing a new property. Plus, you can apply in minutes, so it’s easy to switch and be rewarded every year.
Disclaimer: This guide is intended to cover the points-earning features and capability of the loan and is not a general recommendation for this product. Please review all the necessary information about this home loan to ensure it meets your personal circumstances.
Further information regarding the offer, including terms and conditions, fees, charges and eligibility criteria can be found here. This article is brought to you in partnership with Qantas Money.
How does the Qantas Money Home Loan work?
Bendigo and Adelaide Bank fund the Qantas Money Home Loan. The 100,000 Qantas Points per year is an ongoing offer, so there’s no current application deadline. In general, the home loan offers:
- Choice of a variable or fixed rate
- Up to 30 years loan term
- Finance from $300,000 to $3,000,000
- 10% minimum deposit (for loans under $2 million and LMI may apply)
- Additional repayments and free online redraw available
Not only does Qantas Money reward customers every year, but they’ve just lowered all of their home loan rates for new loans. As of 18 August 2023, the variable interest rate is 5.78% p.a. (5.84% p.a. comparison rate) for a Variable Owner Occupied Principal and Interest loan. This actually compares quite favourably to many other variable rates on the market, though you need to do your research and consult a professional for advice if needed.
In terms of upfront product fees, expect to pay at least $840.40 in application and settlement costs. If you later move your mortgage to another provider, you’ll also need to pay a $325 discharge fee (other fees may apply).
Check the Qantas Money rates and fees page to see the latest rates and fees, as interest rates may change as frequently as every month for the foreseeable future.
Have any questions? Help is on hand with consultants able to help you on every step of the journey. But the streamlined online application process makes it easy to apply in minutes!
How do I get the Qantas Points?
The 100,000 Qantas Points are earned upon settlement. You can start planning your first holiday straight away. The ongoing 100,000 points per year are then awarded three months after the settlement anniversary in subsequent years.
Point Hacks has written extensively about the best ways to use your Qantas Points. We have provided some refresher guides for you below – but note that reward seat availability is currently tight in premium cabins.
- Fly around the world with Qantas and oneworld partners →
- The best uses of 150,000 Qantas Points →
- Using Qantas Points for Emirates flights →
Where could your Qantas Money Home Loan take you?
Whether you use your points every year for an annual trip, or let your Qantas Points accumulate, here are just some of the exciting things you could look forward to. Note that all options require reward seat availability and will incur fees and charges for redemption (varies by route, airline and cabin).
Straight after settlement
Congratulations on the settlement – you also now have 100,000 Qantas Points to play with! If you’re eager to book your next holiday straight away, here are some tantalising choices.
- Embark on a family adventure with four return Economy reward flights between Sydney and Brisbane, Hamilton Island, Launceston and many other family-friendly destinations with Qantas [up to 96,000 pts], or
- Save money on airfares and splurge more in Bali with two return Economy reward flights between Sydney and Bali with Qantas [81,200 pts], or
- Explore the South Pacific region in comfort with two one-way Business reward flights from Sydney to New Zealand, Fiji or Vanuatu with Qantas, Fiji Airways or Air Vanuatu [83,000 pts]. Or return Economy to the same destinations [72,000 pts]. Have an extra 19,000 points in your account already? You can book two mixed-cabin return reward fares (one-way Economy, one-way Business) for 119,000 pts with those airlines.
After 1 year (and a bit)
Three months after the first anniversary of your home loan, you’d have 200,000 Qantas Points.
- Fly to Asia in the lap of luxury with two return mixed-cabin (Business one-way and Economy one-way) reward flights between Singapore and Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane with Qantas [187,200 pts] or return in Premium Economy for a few thousand points extra [205,200 pts], or
- Do your next island escape the fancy way with two return Business reward flights between Sydney and Nadi (Fiji) with Qantas or Fiji Airways [166,000 pts], or
- Want a taste of indulgence on a budget? Book two one-way First Class reward flights between Sydney and Christchurch with Emirates [129,000 pts or 169,000 pts with a return flight in Emirates Economy].
After 3 years (and a bit)
Saved up your Qantas Points for 3 years and 3 months? With a balance of 400,000 Qantas Points, you have lots of exciting experiences to choose from.
- Take the whole family in style with four return Business reward flights between Sydney and Nadi (Fiji) with Qantas or Fiji Airways [332,000 pts], or
- Rest easy on long-haul flights to the USA with two return Business reward flights between Australia’s eastern states and Los Angeles or San Francisco with Qantas or American Airlines [379,600 pts], or
- Indulge in ultimate First Class luxury with two one-way First Class reward flights between Perth and Vienna or Rome with Emirates [341,600 pts].
A note on the Points Eligibility Policy
Qantas Money also applies a ‘Points Eligibility Policy’ to prevent customers from unfairly taking advantage of the points while offsetting or repaying a significant portion of the loan for a long period of time.
Under the policy, Qantas Money may cancel the awarding of Qantas Points if you use the home loan in an unreasonable way, as determined by them. But they’ll usually get in contact with you before taking any action.
‘Unreasonable use’ could include offsetting the principal by 70% or more for 12 months or more, or repaying more than 70% of the principal for 12 months or more. You also may forfeit points if your home loan is in arrears for over 60 days, or if you have breached any other loan terms and conditions.
On the face of it, the Qantas Money Home Loan is a compelling offering for those interested in earning a serious chunk of Qantas Points while paying off their house. 100,000 points a year, ongoing, is a great reward and could fund quite a few Business Class trips. Plus, they’ve recently lowered all of their rates for new loans.
Previously, ANZ has twice run a limited-time campaign with a one-off bonus of 300,000 Qantas Points. And you could also earn Qantas Points with Macquarie Bank’s home loans. But both options aren’t available right now, so the Qantas Money Home Loan is filling a gap in the market.
Just be sure to do your research and compare other providers before committing. Many banks offer cashback with refinancing and that may be more of interest to you than bonus points. But if you’re after a home loan that rewards you with plenty of points for frequent getaways, then Qantas Money Home Loans have you covered.
Credit is provided by Bendigo and Adelaide Bank Limited ABN 11 068 049 178 AFSL/Australian Credit Licence Number 237879. Credit criteria, fees and charges apply. Based on Bendigo and Adelaide Bank Limited’s credit criteria. This product is only available to Australian residents who are Qantas Frequent Flyer members. A joining fee may apply. Membership and the earning and redemption of Qantas Points are subject to the Qantas Frequent Flyer terms and conditions. Please refer to qantas.com/terms for a copy.
All lending interest rates are subject to change. Fees and charges may be applicable and can be found on the Rates & fees page online. The comparison rate displayed is calculated for a Qantas Money Home Loan of $150,000 over a term of 25 years. WARNING: This comparison rate is true only for the examples given and may not include all fees and charges. Different terms, fees or other loan amounts might result in a different comparison rate.
Qantas Frequent Flyer members will earn 100,000 Qantas Points upon settlement of their Qantas Money Home Loan. In the instance of joint applicants, the Qantas Points by default will be awarded to the primary applicant annually unless you opt to either split the points between the secondary or primary applicant or award the points in full to the secondary applicant. Qantas Points will be credited to the member’s Qantas Frequent Flyer account within 8 weeks.
Qantas Frequent Flyer members will earn an annual bonus of 100,000 Qantas Points which accrues three months after the settlement anniversary of their Qantas Money Home Loan up to 30 years, provided the loan is in compliance with the Qantas Money Home Loans Points Eligibility Policy, not in arrears or default and the loan is not the subject of hardship relief or assistance. In the instance of joint applicants, the Qantas Points by default will be awarded to the primary applicant annually unless you opt to either split the points between the secondary or primary applicant or award the points in full to the secondary applicant. Qantas Points will be credited to the member’s Qantas Frequent Flyer account within 8 weeks.
Point Hacks is published by Point Hacks Australia Pty Ltd (ACN 622 987 160), a corporate authorised credit representative (Number: 504786) of MSC Advisory Pty Ltd ACN 607 459 441 (Australian Credit License: 480649). This website does not provide credit, assist you in obtaining credit, or advise you to apply for any particular product from a provider.