Etihad Guest is a transfer partner of several bank rewards programs in Australia and, as a result, earning Etihad Guest miles from credit card spend is one of the key ways you can get your hands on points. If you happen to put a lot of your day-to-day spend on American Express, Visa or MasterCard, there are some high points earning options out there.
We’ve rounded up some of the highest Etihad Guest miles-earning cards on the market, with American Express options earning more than 1 mile per $, and the Visa/MasterCard options earning over 0.75 miles per $.
We’ve included an overview table so you can assess the cards that are out there, versus those you may have in your wallet. We also include some of the current sign-up bonuses for new applicants.
Redemptions on domestic and Trans-Tasman Virgin Australia Business Class flights are one of the best uses of Etihad Guest miles
Earn rate changes
Note that 2017 is proving to be a game-changer in the Australian credit card market, with a number of changes from the Reserve Bank continuing to make themselves felt to consumers and business alike. We are now seeing changes in a wide range of cards especially with regards to card benefits, points earn rates and transfer rates.
All figures in the tables below are updated with details from the latest announcements and we will do our best to keep this guide up-to-date – however, for the most part credit cards that earn Etihad Guest miles as a transfer partner haven’t been affected.
Both ANZ and Citi were the first ones to announce changes to their range of credit cards this year. ANZ is severing ties with American Express but also increasing earn rates on Visa cards, albeit implementing a points cap across their lineup, effective 6 August 2017.
Citi’s changes also affect the majority of their points-earning credit cards, with both earn rate and transfer rate to partners being adjusted, effective 15 June 2017.
The highest Etihad Guest miles-earning credit cards
|Card / Offer||American Express |
Etihad Guest Mile earned / $ spent
|Visa/Mastercard/Diners Etihad Guest Mile|
earned / $ spent
|Points Cap||Annual fee ($)||Our Guide|
Business Accelerator ↓
|2 mile (1 mile after cap)||-||100,000 p.a.||160||→|
|American Express |
|American Express Business Explorer ↓||1.5 miles||-||uncapped||395||→|
|American Express |
Platinum Charge ↓
|1 mile on general spend |
except utilities and ATO
3 miles at selected restaurants
2 miles on travel & overseas
|American Express |
Platinum Edge ↓
|1 mile on general spend except utilities and ATO|
3 mile at supermarkets
2 mile on fuel
|American Express |
|1 mile on general spend|
2 mile on selected business
and advertising expenses,
at most restaurants
in Australia, on travel
and overseas spend
|Diners Club Card + World Mastercard||-||1.5 on Diners|
0.625 on Mastercard
|Coles Rewards Mastercard||-||0.8 mile||uncapped||99||→|
|Citi Prestige Visa ↓||-||0.33 mile on general spend|
0.66 mile at major petrol
0.99 miles at major
How to analyse this list
For all the cards and offers listed on this page we are only touching on the ‘effective earn rate’ – this is when points in the parent bank/credit card rewards program are transferred to Etihad Guest Miles, and is a way to compare the specific points earn rates for each card across various credit card rewards programs that offer different headline earn rates and transfer rates to frequent flyer programs.
Each card has other benefits too, along with other transfer partners, annual fees and terms and conditions – so be sure to check out the full guide to each card.
There’s also the sign-up bonus of a card to consider. A large sign-up bonus may help to offset a lower earn rate on a card, so bear that in mind. It depends how much spend you put on your credit card each month, and how long you keep the card for.
Each card offer, with bonus, fee and other offer information on this page will be up-to-date at the time of publication, however, please note that offers change over time.
Some current offers for Etihad Guest miles-earning credit cards
The American Express Business Accelerator offers business owners and sole traders 2 Membership Rewards per dollar up to 100,000 points earned each cardholder year, with 1 point per $ earned after for an annual fee of $160.
- 2 Membership Rewards points earned per $ spent everywhere (except for utilities, insurance and the ATO up to 100,000 points per year)
- 1 Membership Rewards point earned per $ after 100,000 points earned in a year
- $160 p.a. annual fee
Point Hacks receive a maximum of $200 per applicant for this card. More about this →
The American Express Business Accelerator earns the equivalent of 2 Etihad Guest miles per dollar up to 100,000 points earned per year.
American Express 'Explorer' card has 50,000 bonus Membership Rewards Gateway points on offer. Includes $400 travel credit each year, free American Express lounge access plus a range of insurances and high points earn rates on spend.
- 50,000 Membership Rewards Gateway point bonus
- $400 travel credit every year
- Free access to the Sydney or Melbourne Airport American Express lounge twice a year
- 2 Membership Rewards points earned per $1 on all purchases except government bodies where you will earn 0.5 points per $1 spent.
- Included Insurances - smartphone screen insurance and various travel insurances (PDS)
- 0% p.a. on balance transfer for the first 12 months - A one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies
- $395 p.a. annual fee
- Card Members who currently hold or who have previously held any Card product issued by American Express Australia Limited in the preceding 18 month period are ineligible for this offer. Previous and existing bank-issued American Express companion cardholders are eligible for this offer
- $3,000 minimum spend in 3 months required to earn bonus points
Point Hacks receive a maximum of $250 per applicant for this card. More about this →
The American Express Explorer earns the equivalent of 1.5 Etihad Guest miles per dollar with no points cap, including utilities. Government bodies earn at 0.5 miles per $ spent.
The American Express Business Explorer is very similar to the personal version of the card and earns the equivalent of 1.5 Etihad Guest miles per dollar with no points cap, including utilities. Government bodies earn at 0.5 miles per $ spent.
American Express are offering up to 120,000 bonus Membership Rewards points for Point Hacks readers with the American Express Platinum Charge. A great card for those who want to earn Membership Rewards points on everyday spend with lots of additional benefits. Read the Point Hacks guide for the full rundown.
- Up to 120,000 Membership Rewards points signup bonus
- $300 travel credit annually
- Unlimited access to certain airline lounges - including Virgin Australia Domestic, Delta and American Express lounges globally
- Access to American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts perks & discounts
- 3 Membership Rewards points earned per $ spent at restaurants, 2 points earned per $ on travel spend, and 1 point per $ everywhere else except for utilities and the ATO
- $1200 p.a. annual fee
- Card Members who currently hold or who have previously held any Card product issued by American Express Australia Limited in the preceding 18 month period are ineligible for this offer. Previous and existing bank-issued American Express companion cardholders are eligible for this offer.
- Receive 40,000 bonus points for every month you spend $1,500 or more in the first 3 months
- Charge card, not credit card - balance requires payment in full each month but with no pre-set spending limit - more about this
- Offer ends: 31 May 2018
Point Hacks receive a maximum of $300 per applicant for this card. More about this →
The American Express Platinum Charge Card earns the equivalent of at least 1 Etihad Guest mile per dollar for most transactions, with 3 miles per $ on restaurant and dining spend, and 2 miles per $ on travel and overseas spend – those bonuses are available up to 300,000 points per year.
Utilities & government bodies earn at 0.5 Miles per $ spent.
American Express are offering a $200 travel credit each year for new cardholders of the Platinum Edge. Includes travel insurance, earns 3 points per $ at supermarkets, and 2 points per $ on fuel.
- $200 travel credit each year which can be used for flight, hotel or rental car bookings with Amex Travel
- Travel and purchase protection insurances (PDS)
- 3 Membership Rewards points earned per $ spent at supermarkets, 2 points earned per $ on fuel, and 1 point per $ everywhere else except for utilities and the ATO
- 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months, with a 1% establishment fee - maximum balance transfer is $10,000 or 70% of your approved credit limit, whichever is less
- Annual fee: $195 p.a.
- Card Members who currently hold or who have previously held any Card product issued by American Express Australia Limited in the preceding 60 day period are ineligible for this offer. Previous and existing bank-issued American Express companion cardholders are eligible for this offer.
Point Hacks receive a maximum of $150 per applicant for this card. More about this →
The American Express Edge earns the equivalent of at least 1 Etihad Guest mile per dollar for most transactions, with 3 miles per $ on supermarket spend, and 2 miles per $ on fuel spend uncapped.
Utilities & government bodies earn at 0.5 miles per $ spent.
With a 120,000 Membership Rewards bonus, the American Express Platinum Business Charge card is aimed at small and medium size businesses who want to maximise their points earn and travel benefits.
- 120,000 Membership Rewards points on approval
- 2 Membership Rewards points earned per $ spent at restaurants, airlines, accommodations and business expenses, 1 point per $ everywhere else except for utilities and the ATO
- A vast range of Small and Medium Enterprise specific benefits, insurances (PDS), rewards and travel options
- Unlimited access to Virgin Australia and American Express airline lounges globally
- $1500 p.a. annual fee
- Spend $5,000 in first 2 months of ownership to qualify for signup bonus
- Card Members who currently hold or who have previously held any other Card product issued by American Express Australia Limited in the preceding 18 month period are ineligible for this offer. Previous and existing bank-issued American Express companion cardholders are eligible for this offer.
- Offer expires: 2 July 2018
Point Hacks receive a maximum of $330 per applicant for this card. More about this →
The American Express Platinum Business Charge earns the equivalent of 1 Etihad Guest mile per dollar on general spend, and 2 miles on travel and overseas spend, and selected restaurant, business and advertising expenses, capped at 375,000 p.a.
Citi Prestige Visa - 150,000 Citi Rewards points (75,000 Velocity points / 60,000 Krisflyer miles if transferred)
150,000 Citi Rewards Points are on offer with the Citi Prestige Visa when signing up and linking to Citi Rewards. Comes with a vast range of perks including unlimited lounge access, free hotel night, and airport limo transfers.
- 150,000 bonus Citi Rewards points
- Ability to transfer points to Velocity, Krisflyer, Asia Miles or other international frequent flyer programs
- Priority Pass lounge access, Visa Luxury Hotels service, and other premium benefits
- 3 Citi Rewards points earned per $1 on select purchases and bookings from a range of major restaurants, major hotel chains and flights directly booked with major airlines and international spend
- 2 Citi Rewards points earned per $ for selected purchases made at major petrol outlets, major supermarkets and major national retailers
- 1 Citi Rewards point earned per $ spent everywhere else on eligible spend
- Complimentary bottle of wine when you dine with partner restaurants
- Annual fee: $700 p.a.
- Spend a minimum of $3,000 in the first 90 days from card approval to receive bonus
- $150,000 p.a. minimum income requirement
- Offer expires: 30 June 2018
Point Hacks receive a maximum of $280 per applicant for this card. More about this →
The Citi Prestige Visa earns the equivalent of 0.33 mile on general spend,
0.66 mile at major petrol stations, supermarkets and retailers, and 0.99 miles at major restaurants, airlines and international spend.
Cards in the table but not mentioned above
Offers for some of the cards are not mentioned above as they don’t offer a sign-up bonus, or we don’t have a guide for them yet.
The focus of this guide is to outline the highest Etihad Guest miles-earning credit cards out there – there are also other cards with differing points earn rates and annual fees that are also linked to Etihad Guest miles. Check out the cards table for the list.
Share this article
Point Hacks Credit Card Information
Point Hacks is published by Point Hacks Australia Pty Ltd (ACN 622 987 160), a corporate authorised credit representative (Number: 504786) of MSC Advisory Pty Ltd ACN 607 459 441 (Australian Credit License: 480649). In some instances, Point Hacks Australia Pty Ltd receives a commission or benefit for referring you to the services of a credit provider. This commission or benefit is disclosed at the point of referral to the credit provider. This website does not provide credit, assist you in obtaining credit, or advise you to apply for any particular product from a provider.
We have not taken into consideration your personal circumstances or financial situation when providing the information on this website. It is important you read the relevant PDS from the product issuer and seek the independent advice of an appropriately qualified professional before making a decision on a product.
While we invest a great deal of time and energy into ensuring we provide with you with the most up to date and accurate information, we do not warrant the accuracy of statements or information contained on the Website relating to third party goods and services, including credit card information, loyalty schemes and rewards. You acknowledge that such information and materials may contain inaccuracies or errors and we expressly exclude liability arising from any person acting on those statements or information to the fullest extent permitted by law. Where conditions or warranties are implied by law and cannot be excluded, our liability will be limited to the re-supply of information. You should confirm the accuracy of information provided on this Website with the third party product provider before acting on it.