We regularly update this guide with some of the better, more accessible and useful deals for obtaining enough Status Credits (SCs) for Qantas Gold status in one trip, with our current flight pick on sale until 7 January.
While there might be cheaper options out there, we will try to strike a balance between cost and logistical appeal of the fares we find. Finding a 27-sector fare to a destination no one wants to fly to isn’t our goal here.
Fly round-the-world on a combination of Qantas, Finnair and oneworld airlines, with stops in the US, Europe and Asia for about the same price as a return ticket to Europe.
From $5788. On sale until 7 January. Must include North America, Europe and Asia. Five stopovers permitted, including (but not limited to) Bangkok, Hong Kong, Tokyo and Singapore in Asia, and LA, San Francisco, New York and Miami in the US.
More details below.
Why is Qantas Gold status valuable?
When you have Gold status with Qantas, you will enjoy the following benefits on Qantas and its partner airlines:
- Lounge access at Qantas, Emirates and oneworld partner lounges
- Extra baggage allowance (usually one extra checked bag)
- Use of Business Class check-in counters (even when flying Economy)
- Access to Premium Security Lanes at Sydney (Domestic), Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth Airports
- Priority boarding
- Priority standby lists
- Priority baggage handling
- 75% bonus points on Qantas, Jetstar and American Airlines flights
To obtain Gold membership, you need to earn 700 Status Credits in a 12-month period.
To maintain (or extend) Gold membership for another year, you need to earn 600 Status Credits.
Once you have Gold status with one frequent flyer program, you can status match to others.
Business Class to the US, Europe and Asia on Qantas, Finnair and oneworld partners from $5788
This fare permits travel from Australia to Europe via North America in one direction, and via Asia in the other.
You could enjoy Qantas’ newest Business Class product on its Boeing 787 Dreamliner flights to/from the US
Finnair A330 Business Class on long-haul flights to/from Asia and the US
Example 1: (almost) reach Gold status from $5634
Routing: Sydney – Los Angeles – Helsinki // choose from 60+ European stopover cities // Helsinki – Bangkok – Sydney
Status Credits earn: 680 (20 short of Gold)
Example 2: via North Asia from $5948
Routing: Brisbane – Sydney – Tokyo – Seoul – Helsinki – Milan // make your own way to // Rome – Helsinki – New York – Dallas/Fort Worth – Sydney – Brisbane
Status Credits earn: 860
Example 3: Boost SC earn from $5788
Routing: Perth – Sydney – Singapore – Hong Kong – Helsinki – Madrid // make your own way to // Barcelona – Helsinki – Chicago – San Francisco – Melbourne – Perth
Status Credits earn: 1020 (380 short of Platinum)
- On sale until 7 January 2019, with payment required by this date
- For departures between 16 January and 30 June 2019
- Valid from all Australian capital cities, with one Qantas domestic connection permitted in each direction
- Up to five stopovers permitted (including European destination)
- Six-month maximum trip duration
- All flights must be with oneworld alliance airlines, including but not limited to Qantas, Finnair, Cathay Pacific, Japan Airlines, Malaysia Airlines and American Airlines
- Itinerary must include North America, Europe and Asia (either as stopover or transit)
- You can travel in either direction, e.g. Asia first and the US last (or vice versa)
- You can choose your destination from the 60+ cities that Finnair services in Europe
- If you are looking to increase Status Credits earn, try to visit cities in Europe that are further from Helsinki, such as Madrid and Barcelona (80 Status Credits each way) rather than Paris, Rome and London (60 SCs)