Qantas Frequent Flyer is now offering members a new way to earn and use Qantas Points for holiday experiences. With the loyalty program buying a 51% stake in TripADeal and eyeing up the remaining 49%, we can expect a close partnership and plenty more deals. Best of all, you can now earn and use Qantas Points on TripADeal packages.

The online holiday package market is estimated to be worth $13 billion, and Qantas Frequent Flyer is certainly looking to expand its presence. Travellers can already earn and use Qantas Points with Luxury Escapes and Qantas Holidays.

Qantas Group CEO, Alan Joyce, says there is a huge shift towards booking holidays online, and that the TripADeal partnership will open up many destinations not served by Qantas Holidays.

[TripADeal is] an Aussie success story built on delivering ready-made holidays at very sharp prices, and their level of repeat customers shows how well they do it.

Partnering with TripADeal means we can make Qantas Points part of the equation, which is great news for our Frequent Flyers and for our loyalty business more broadly.

The ways to earn points on the ground keep expanding and we know that the number one thing people want to spend those points on is travel. That’s why the opportunities that TripADeal opens up for our Frequent Flyers will be so positive.

– Alan Joyce, Qantas Group CEO, 24 May 2022

Olivia Wirth, Qantas Loyalty CEO, explained to Point Hacks at a media briefing that the TripADeal partnership will be ‘complementary’ to other partnerships such as Qantas Holidays.

How do I earn Qantas Points with TripADeal?

With Qantas Points now coming online at TripADeal, it’s easy to boost your balance. You’ll pocket three Qantas Points per AU$1 spent on holiday packages – a very good haul. All you have to do is enter your Qantas Frequent Flyer number at the checkout.

So for two people travelling to Japan for 10 days – at a sharp AU$5,598 all up including flights – you could pocket 16,794 Qantas Points, worth a return Economy or one-way Business reward flight between Sydney and Melbourne.

Ad – Scroll down to continue reading.Minimum spend, terms & conditions apply.

How do I use Qantas Points with TripADeal?

The numbers don’t work out as well for using Qantas Points, as expected. You can use the calculator on the package info page to see what the ‘Points + Pay’ split can be.

Using the same Japan tour as an example, using 159,000 Qantas Points on a $2,799 deal will only offset the package by $1,599, giving you a value of one cent per point. Admittedly, this is a better deal than most of Qantas’ other channels, where you might expect 0.5-0.6 cents per point.

Using Qantas Points for TripADeal is worth one cent per point.

But we value Qantas Points at 1.80 cents each. You’ll still get the best value using your Qantas Points towards premium flight rewards in Business and First Class. That same 159,000 points could fetch you:

  • One-way Business Class between Australia and Europe in Qatar Airways Qsuites.
  • Return Business Class between Australia and Asia (from 136,800 points on Qantas or 150,000 points on partners).
  • Around the world with oneworld airlines in Economy (132,800 points).

Even with taxes and carrier charges added, that remains the best use of points overall.

But if your Qantas Points balance enables you to heavily subsidise a TripADeal package, and you don’t have any interest in booking reward seats, then at least you have a decent option here.

Summing up

Qantas Frequent Flyer is spreading its wings further and focusing more on pre-packaged holiday experiences. There’s something alluring about booking a holiday package when you just want to de-stress – with a few clicks, your flights, hotels and tour schedules are sorted.

And now, you can give your Qantas Points balance a huge boost while doing so. Don’t forget to use a Qantas Points-earning credit card at the checkout to double-dip on rewards!

Earn Qantas Points on TripADeal holiday packages was last modified: May 24th, 2022 by Brandon Loo