American Express is currently offering 5,000 bonus points for adding an additional Card Member to your account. You’ll want to check if any of your cards have been targeted for the offer.
And as with all additional member/supplementary cards:
- It is an additional card on the primary Card Members’ account, so will not exclude the additional Card Member from a sign-up bonus in the future
- Additional Card Members must be 16 years of age or older
- You will be liable for all cardholders’ spending—but you will also earn points for their purchases
- Additional Card Members are eligible for Amex Offers
The last time this promotion was run was in August 2018, with 3,000 points offered. This year’s promotion is more lucrative for those earning Qantas or Velocity Points (5,000 points), worth $100 and $95, respectively.
How to add an additional Card Member to your Amex account to earn bonus points
- Check your email to see if you were targeted for the promotion
- If not, log in to your American Express account
- Click on My Account
- Click on Add someone to your account
- Choose the card you’d like to add the additional Card Member to (this offer is targeted to specific customers and cards)
- If eligible, fill out the form
- Add the additional Card Member by 4 October
- Have the additional Card Member spend at least $500 on the card by 31 October
- September-October 2019: 5,000 bonus points for adding an additional Card Member
- August 2018: 3,000 bonus points for adding an additional Card Member
If you are able to add a trusted additional Card Member to your American Express account and are willing to take liability for their purchases, then this is a great way to pick up some extra American Express Membership Rewards points to use on redemptions like these.
Have you had success receiving bonus points with this promotion? Let us know, including which card you hold, in the comments below!