The SkyBus-Velocity Frequent Flyer partnership allows you to earn Velocity Points on about half of SkyBus services.
Update: this partnership ends on 31 January 2020.
Current offer: earn double Velocity Points on selected SkyBus return tickets
During April 2019, you can 500 Points for a return adult fare and 1000 Points for a return family fare with SkyBus on eligible routes—they’re listed in the next section.
Within Australia, you’ll earn:
- 500 points per Adult or Family 1 return fare
- 1000 points per Family 2 return fare
In Auckland, you’ll earn:
- 250 points per Family one-way fare
- 500 points per Adult return fare
- 1000 points per Family return fare
You must register for this offer here before you purchase your ticket.
H/T: Fly Stay Points
How much will I earn?
The regular earn rate is:
|Points earn||Ticket type||Maximum earn per transaction|
|100||Family 1 one-way||500|
|250||Family 1 roundtrip||1250|
|250||Family 2 one-way||1250|
|1000||10-Trip (not available online)||1000|
Given our valuation of Velocity Points, on an Adult roundtrip fare between Melbourne Tullamarine and the City, you’ll earn $4.50 worth of points on a $36 ticket. That’s like getting ~12% cashback, which is not a lot, but it’s something.
The eligible routes are:
- Melbourne Tullamarine Airport – City
- Melbourne Tullamarine Airport – Southbank Docklands
- Gold Coast Airport Shuttle
- Auckland City Express
Excluded routes are:
- Melbourne Tullamarine Airport – St Kilda
- Melbourne Tullamarine Airport – Melbourne’s West
- Melbourne Tullamarine Airport – Frankston & Peninsula (FAPAS)
- All Avalon Airport services
- Gold Coast Airport – Byron Bay Express
How do I earn Velocity Points on SkyBus services?
- Buy online: enter your Velocity membership number on the booking page. Make sure the name on your booking matches exactly the name on your Velocity Frequent Flyer account
- Buy in person at a ticket booth: swipe your Velocity membership card (you need to have your card physically with you)
Three sweet spots to earn extra points
1. Book roundtrip if travelling alone
Basically, you’ll earn 100 Velocity Points for each ride on an Adult fare, except you’ll earn an extra 50 points if you book a roundtrip instead of two one-way tickets (250 points for roundtrip versus 100 for two one-ways).
2. Book Family 2 fare instead of two one-way Adult fares if travelling as a two-adult family
If you are travelling with up to four children aged between 4 and 16 years old (they don’t mention anything about infants on their website), they ride for free.
If you’re the only adult, you’ll travel on the Family 1 fare and get the same earn rate as a single Adult (100 points one-way and 250 roundtrip).
However, if you are two adults travelling with up to four children one-way, then you are better off buying the Family 2 ticket (for the same price as two one-way Adult fares). This is because you’ll get 250 points instead of 200 points in total if buying two separate tickets.
- Points are not available when purchasing a ticket at an e-kiosk
- Points will be awarded up to 28 days after purchase
This is a great way to earn Velocity Points on a service you may use already.
If travelling solo, a roundtrip will earn you more points than two one-ways. If you are two adults travelling with a family, make sure to buy a Family 2 ticket instead of two separate one-way Adult tickets.
Remember that Velocity Points can only be earned on about half of SkyBus’ services.
All images courtesy of SkyBus.