The biggest downside to Qantas (and many other) frequent flyer redemptions for flights is the lack of status accrual on flights booked using points. It’s frustrating, because as consumers we are still being loyal to airlines when using points for flights on their aircraft. Just because we are paying with points rather than cash, not earning status doesn’t seem fair.
This promotion is one of a few that crop up every so often which help to mitigate that feeling – Qantas are offering reduced status credit earn (compared to paid fares) on Classic awards until end of October 6th.
You’ll need to register for the promotion here before booking, and if you have any classic awards you’re thinking of booking, you might as well do it now.
Here are the terms:
- Register and make a new booking on eligible flights with a QF flight number between 12:01am (AEST) 30 September 2015 and 11:59pm (AEDT) 6 October 2015
- Travel between 30 September 2015 and 17 September 2016
- Include your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership number in your registration and booking
- All Frequent Flyers in the booking must register separately to earn Status Credits
And you’ll earn Qantas status credits at the following rates:
- Domestic Economy Classic Flight Rewards – Discount Economy earn rate
- Domestic Business Classic Flight Rewards – Flexible Economy earn rate
- International Economy Classic Flight Rewards – Economy earn rate
International Business or First Class redemptions don’t qualify, unfortunately. The full set of terms are here.