Point Hacks currently has three roles open. Applications close 10 June, and you can submit your application here.
The Point Hacks Content Manager will work within our small but growing editorial team and network of contributors to effectively research, write, publish and maintain Point Hacks content within our websites and a range of other digital channels.
This is a new role within Point Hacks, giving the new team member room to quickly grow and make the role their own. Ideally we’re seeking someone to work from our Brighton, Victoria office alongside our growing product, marketing and management staff.
You’ll need to have had experience creating content and publishing it to a digital audience on the web and social channels, with exposure to content management systems, google analytics and other tools in the content production workflow. Ideally, you’ll also have worked with digital product, marketing and development staff to contribute to improvements to websites and marketing initiatives.
Finally, you’ll need to have a strong interest in—or dare we say, passion for—points, rewards programs, rewards credit cards, travel and airlines, especially in the Australian market.
Experience in related industries, or the affiliate marketing industry, will be looked on favourably.
The application process will consist of a number of discussions with the existing team, plus written pieces for which your time will be compensated for. Thanks to everyone who is interested!
In your application cover letter, please suggest three articles that you would like to write for Point Hacks, and summarise your level of knowledge of the points, credit card and loyalty market in Australia.
- An integral role within the Point Hacks editorial team, jointly contributing to researching, writing, updating and publishing 15 posts/week Monday to Friday
- Support and cover for the broader editorial team during periods of unavailability
- Respond to reader comments
- Generate 5-10 substantive posts of original content each week
- Knowledge of the Australian rewards credit card market
- Knowledge of points earn and redemption tactics that can be leveraged by Australian consumers
- Ability to work and live in Australia
- Ability to work regular business hours Monday to Friday
- Demonstrated strong writing and editing skills
- Technologically savvy with experience of website content management systems, preferably WordPress
- Passion for the world of points with an eye for clean, concise and interesting copy
- Based in Melbourne
- Experience in the financial services industry
- Expertise in credit cards
- Experience in content creation and editing
What we’re not looking for
If you’re interested in the role, thanks for getting this far! It’s also worth noting what we don’t need or want from this person:
- Candidates who don’t live or spend a substantial amount of their time in Australia
- Travel and points enthusiasts who primarily want to share personal reviews of their travels
- Beginners to the frequent flyer points world
- Writers currently contributing to competing sites, unless they are willing to exclusively contribute to Point Hacks in the future
Development Operations Manager
We are seeking a Development Operations (Devops) Manager to take ownership of a number of technical responsibilities to maintain and improve our Websites. This is a new role, with opportunities for growth and autonomy. The business and website is small but mature, and is now entering a period of new growth for which we require a safe and experienced pair of hands to assist in realising our technology roadmap.
With many of our team based remotely, the successful applicant does not need to be based in Melbourne, however, we do require a substantial overlap with Australian working hours and excellent English written and verbal communication skills.
This is effectively a full-time position, with relatively flexible working hours.
- Github repository administration (creating/maintaining issues, branch management)
- WordPress administration (syncing prod/staging environments, plugin management, setting up local environments) across a small number of related WordPress instances
- Assessing error notifications, reviewing associated error logs, and deciding on the severity of issues
- Communicating tech stack changes and key issues updates to Product Manager
- Maintaining development workflows with development team (code reviews, documentation and issue references, pull requests are merged when safe)
- Fixing and deploying changes in WordPress
- Proactively identifying workflow and technical bottlenecks for server/website performance and development workflows, suggesting and implementing fixes
- WordPress administration
- Working with remote linux servers using ssh (basic knowledge required)
- Git-based development workflows (managing branches, pull requests, reviews)
- Working with services on the command line (e.g heroku, aws, npm, scripts)
- Writing and running scripts for automation (node, python, bash, etc)
- Querying data using SQL, preferably on mysql and wordpress
- Use of web development build tools (webpack, gulp, grunt)
- Strong familiarity with GitHub
- Deploying and managing apps on Heroku
- WordPress theme and plugin development (more generally: PHP development)
- Writing and running tests
- Setting up and using CI/CD
- Experience with Google Tag Manager
- Planning and scaling distributed infrastructure
- Data visualisation and analysis
Digital Marketing Associate
We are seeking a Digital Marketing Associate to drive in the planning and execution of key marketing strategies.
Our business is entering a new period of growth and is looking for an individual who is a quick learner, can wear many hats and is not scared of change. This is a new role, with opportunities for growth and autonomy.
The role will be based in the Point Hack’s office in Brighton, Victoria and will be working closely with the editorial, product and technology members of the team.
- Execution of Point Hacks’ digital marketing strategies, including SEO/SEM, marketing database, email, social media and display advertising campaigns
- Design, build and maintain our social media presence
- Measure and report performance of all digital marketing campaigns, and assess against goals (ROI and KPIs)
- Work with editorial, product, design and technical team members to execute the agreed digital marketing plans
- Identify trends and insights, and optimise spend and performance based on the insights
- Brainstorm new and creative growth strategies
- Collaborate with agencies and other partners
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing or a related field
- At least 2-3 years of experience working in digital marketing
- Desire to work in a fast-paced, evolving environment and an eagerness to ‘wear many hats’
- Strong analytical skills and data-driven thinking
- Demonstrable experience managing SEO/SEM, marketing database, email, social media and/or display advertising campaigns
- Highly creative with experience in identifying target audiences and devising digital campaigns that engage, inform and motivate
- Solid knowledge of website analytics tools (e.g. Google Analytics)