Cheap flights to Beijing, Shanghai and Chengdu with AirAsia for most dates from now until November 2016.
Depart: Sydney, Melbourne, Perth or Gold Coast
Arrive: Beijing, Shanghai or Chengdu
Return: Sydney, Melbourne, Perth or Gold Coast
Dates: June to November 2016
Stops: Kuala Lumpur (stopovers not permitted)
Cost: $454+ return in economy
Perth to Chengdu for $454:
Sydney to Beijing for $482:
Melbourne to Beijing for $497:
Gold Coast to Shanghai for $540:
Things to note:
- AirAsia is a low-cost airline, meaning that you will need to pay extra for checked baggage and inflight meals. However, if you travel to China in the northern summer months, you will not need to take as many clothes as in the colder months.
- Booking through Expedia instead of the AirAsia website means the prices above include the credit card surcharge
- Australian citizens need to apply for a tourist visa before travel, so make sure you choose a travel date that gives you enough time to do that
- As AirAsia prices legs separately, if you plan on visiting various cities in China, perhaps try a multiple destinations search on Expedia as it may save you time and money whilst travelling (e.g. Perth to Beijing, returning Shanghai to Perth, instead of having to backtrack to Beijing for your return flight)
- Before, the terminal AirAsia used in Kuala Lumpur had very little to offer, which made stopovers over three hours uncomfortable. The terminal has now been upgraded and has restaurants, cafes, shops and free wifi. I had a four-hour stopover with them from Sydney to Kochi, India in January and it was a lot better than I thought it would be. If you have a stopover of 8+ hours, perhaps you can go into the city to visit Kuala Lumpur, which has great food and shopping.
Booking link: Go to Expedia to do your search and make your booking
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. Fares may disappear quickly, so we suggest booking as soon as you are confident in your travel dates.