This promotion will earn you double the regular Velocity Status Credits earn rate on Virgin Australia flights but make sure you register for the promotion before making your booking.
This offer can help you fast-track your way to Velocity Gold or Platinum status.
The last time we saw a promotion like this was back in November, but it was restricted to Trans-Tasman flights. It is notable that this promotion runs for 12 days, which is quite long compared to the usual 5 from both Virgin and Qantas.
On this page, we collate the best deals to earn you bonus Velocity Points on travel and everyday products.
Offer 1: earn double Velocity Status Credits on Virgin Australia bookings
To take advantage of this promotion:
- Activate this offer between 12:01am AEST 1 February 2019 and 11:59pm 12 February 2019 inclusive
- Book an eligible flight during the promotion period—I suggest clicking through the Cashrewards website to earn 0.7-1% cashback or using one of these discount codes to get a further 10% off (the latter is more lucrative)
- Enter your Velocity membership number at the time of booking
An eligible flight is any flight marketed and operated by Virgin Australia for travel between 1 February 2019 and 28 December 2019 inclusive.
The following are not eligible for this offer:
- Previous bookings/bookings already made
- Codeshare services marketed or operated by a partner airline other than Virgin Australia, e.g. Singapore Airlines or Etihad
- Reward seat bookings
Bonus points will take up to four weeks after your last flight in the itinerary to land in your account.
Offer 2: earn 20,000 bonus Velocity Points by taking out a Virgin Car Insurance policy
- 5,000 Velocity Points if the insurance is held for more than 65 days
- another 15,000 points if the policy is still active six months after purchase
How to access this offer
- Take out a new Virgin Car Insurance comprehensive policy before 1 April 2019 (renewals do not count)
- Provide your Velocity number during the application process
You can get a quote through the offer page. You’ll get a 15% discount for taking out the policy online rather than calling up to do so.
I’m not an expert in insurance, so I’d recommend comparing your quote against policies from other insurers.
Terms and conditions
Offer of up to 20,000 Velocity Points is available to eligible customers who purchase a new Virgin Car Insurance comprehensive policy and have not previously received points for that same policy number (not available for renewals). This offer is valid for new policy purchases from 1 November 2018 – 1 April 2019 and is subject to change or removal at the discretion of Virgin Money. Insurance not available in Northern Territory. Offer is only valid if a valid Velocity membership number is provided at the time of application. If you’re not a Velocity member you can join Velocity for free. Maximum of 20,000 Velocity Points per policy (even if multiple cars are insured under a single policy). In order to receive the Points the policy holder must be the main driver and their name must match the Velocity account name and membership number provided. Eligible policy holders will be entitled to up to 20,000 Velocity to be awarded in two stages, 1 x 5,000 Velocity Points and 1 x 15,000 Bonus Velocity Points, subject to the following conditions: the policy holder will be entitled to 5,000 Velocity Points if the insurance is held for more than 65 days (credited to the eligible Velocity Account up to 90 days after the policy has been purchased); the policy holder will be entitled to the remaining 15,000 Bonus Velocity Points if the policy is still active 6 months after purchase (credited to the eligible Velocity Account up to 10 months after the policy was purchased). This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other Virgin Money Car insurance offers, is not redeemable for cash and is not transferable. The Velocity Membership Terms and Conditions apply.
- February 2019: earn double Velocity Status Credits on Virgin Australia flights
- January-April 2019: earn 20,000 bonus Velocity Points by taking out a Virgin Car Insurance policy
- December 2018: earn double Velocity Points on Virgin Australia bookings; earn double Velocity Status Credits shopping at Coles and Liquorland; earn up to 10,000 bonus Velocity Points by shopping with partners this Christmas
- November-December 2018: earn double Velocity Status Credits on Virgin Australia flights between Australia and New Zealand
- October 2018: earn double Velocity Points on Virgin Australia bookings
- September 2018: earn 3,000-12,000 bonus Velocity Points on flights to/from New Zealand
- July 2018: earn double Velocity Points on Virgin Australia bookings
- April 2018: earn 1,000 bonus Velocity Points on your next Virgin Australia booking; earn 5,000/10,000 bonus Velocity points on flights to Hong Kong (one-way/return)
- March 2018: earn triple Velocity Points on Virgin Australia bookings
- November 2017: earn 10,000 bonus Velocity Points for signing up and working out for three months at Virgin Active
- July 2017: earn 1000 bonus Velocity Points for first AirActive booking and 50 points for subsequent bookings
- April 2017: earn double Velocity Status Credits shopping at Coles and Liquorland
- November-December 2016: earn double Velocity Status Credits shopping at Coles and Liquorland
Ongoing opportunities to boost your Velocity Points balance
There are a number of other ways to earn bonus Velocity Points, including by signing up to a Velocity points-earning credit card, purchasing petrol at BP, shopping online through the Velocity eStore, booking hotels and shopping with your Visa card at participating small businesses.
And here are some of the best ways to use them.