Velocity Frequent Flyer members can earn a good chunk of bonus points by shopping with 3-5 participating partners—it just requires a little bit of planning.
Velocity is also running a transfer bonus from credit card programs and flybuys this month.
On this page, we collate the best deals to earn you bonus Velocity Points on travel and everyday products.
Offer 1: Earn up to 10,000 bonus Velocity Points by shopping with partners this Christmas
Between 20 November and 8 January 2019, you can earn 2,000/5,000/10,000 by shopping with 3/4/5 participating Velocity partners:
You will only receive one of the bonuses, i.e. if you shop with five partners, you will only get 10,000 bonus points, not 2,000 + 5,000 + 10,000.
The participating partners are:
The bonus points will post by early April but will probably be sooner.
Here are some ideas to quickly make the requirements:
- flybuys: transfer flybuys points to Velocity this month with a bonus or shop at Coles and swipe your card
- Velocity eStore: buy a cheap product through their shopping portal, e.g. Apple (there will be triple points on offer 23-26 November) or Menulog
- BP: swipe your Velocity card when paying for fuel
- SkyBus: for those living in or visiting Melbourne, the Gold Coast, Hobart or Auckland
- onsport.com.au: buy something sportsy for someone for Christmas
- Virgin Wines: stock up for the festive season
There is no minimum spend to meet for each partner.
You must activate offer before commencing your spend. I had trouble activating this offer for my account, so I had to scroll down to the My Offers section on the My Velocity dashboard to activate it there.
It would be nifty for those managing a Velocity Family Pooling account to activate this offer for all of their members to boost their earn.
Full offer details and terms and conditions are available here.
Offer 2: earn double Velocity Status on Virgin Australia bookings
This promotion will earn you double the regular Velocity Status Credits earn rate on Virgin Australia flights between Australia and New Zealand but make sure you register for the promotion before making your booking.
This offer can help you fast-track your way to Velocity Gold or Platinum status and comes hot on the heels of Qantas offering double points for Qantas and Emirates flights.
To take advantage of this promotion:
- Activate this offer between 12:01am AEST 13 November 2018 and 11:59pm 14 December 2018 inclusive
- Book an eligible flight during the promotion period—I suggest clicking through the Cashrewards website to earn 0.7% cashback and then using one of these discount codes to get a further 10% off
- Enter your Velocity membership number at the time of booking
An eligible flight is any flight between Australia and New Zealand marketed and operated by Virgin Australia for travel between 26 November 2018 and 9 October 2019 inclusive.
The following are not eligible for this offer:
- Previous bookings/bookings already made
- Codeshare services marketed or operated by a partner airline other than Virgin Australia, e.g. Singapore Airlines or Etihad
- Reward seat bookings
Bonus points will take up to four weeks after your last flight in the itinerary to land in your account.
- November-January 2018: earn up to 10,000 bonus Velocity Points by shopping with partners this Christmas; earn double Velocity Status Credits on Virgin Australia flights between Australia and New Zealand
- October 2018: earn double Velocity Points on Virgin Australia bookings
- September 2018: earn 3,000-12,000 bonus Velocity Points on flights to/from New Zealand
- July 2018: earn double Velocity Points on Virgin Australia bookings
- April 2018: earn 1,000 bonus Velocity Points on your next Virgin Australia booking; earn 5,000/10,000 bonus Velocity points on flights to Hong Kong (one-way/return)
- March 2018: earn triple Velocity Points on Virgin Australia bookings
- November 2017: earn 10,000 bonus Velocity Points for signing up and working out for three months at Virgin Active
- July 2017: earn 1000 bonus Velocity Points for first AirActive booking and 50 points for subsequent bookings
Ongoing opportunities to boost your Velocity Points balance
There are a number of other ways to earn bonus Velocity Points, including by signing up to a Velocity points-earning credit card, purchasing petrol at BP, shopping online through the Velocity eStore, booking hotels and shopping with your Visa card at participating small businesses.
And here are some of the best ways to use them.