Nine months after their first promotion, you can again pick up some big points for opening a fuel card with Caltex but this time around there is a minimum spend requirement.
You can read more about the general program in our guide to Qantas Business Rewards.
Offer 1: 20,000 Qantas Points on offer for an outlay of less than $10 with Caltex
Until 31 January, Business Rewards members can pick up 20,000 Qantas Points by opening a Caltex StarCard fuel card, linking it to their Qantas Business Rewards account by 14 February and spending $300 at Caltex within the first three months.
A StarCard costs $2.95 per month to hold, with bonus points posting within just under three months of meeting the minimum spend requirement of $300—so it seems you could open a card, pay the card fee for a few months until the bonus points post, and then cancel it.
That’s what I did during the promotion in April last year, which offered half the points (10,000) but no minimum spend, so for those who took advantage of that offer, they effectively ‘bought’ 10,000 points for ~$10 in monthly fees. I was able to cancel my account after the bonus points posted with a simple phone call.
However, some people will find that holding onto the card and paying the monthly fee makes financial sense as you will earn Qantas Points on fuel and in-store purchases, as well as accessing discounts of 2-4 cents per litre (more details below).
One thing worth noting:
- Caltex require an identity check as part of the joining process—this might leave an enquiry on your credit record
Here is the cheesy two-minute promotional video:
How to take advantage of this promotion
Step 1: Make sure you have an ABN
Step 2: Make sure you are already a member of Qantas Business Rewards. If not, you can join free (it’s for the Dell link below but still works, saving you $89.50)
Step 3: Apply for a new Caltex StarCard account by 31 January (existing cardholders are not eligible for this promotion)
Step 4: Link your StarCard to your Qantas Business Rewards Account by 14 February
Step 5: Spend $300 at Caltex within three months
Step 6: Wait 90 days for bonus points to credit
Then you have two options:
Step 6a: Once points credit, give Caltex 30 days’ notice of wanting to cancel the card (StarCard support line 1300 365 096 or my.caltex.com.au)
Step 6b: Continue to hold the card for $2.95/month and earn:
- 1 Qantas Point per litre of Vortex Premium fuel
- 0.5 Qantas Points per litre of regular fuel
- 1 Qantas Points per $ spent on servicing and eligible products in-store (there are a lot of excluded items though)
plus discounts of:
- 4 cents per litre on Vortex Premium fuel
- 2 cents per litre on regular petrol and diesel
- 10% off packaged engine oils
- 5% off most convenience items
Points earned from ongoing spend take up to 60 days to credit.
This is a good deal for those who are currently or eligible to be a Qantas Business Rewards member—and that’s not to mention the ongoing earn and discount benefits of holding onto the card.
Note that Point Hacks has no commercial relationship with either Qantas Business Rewards or Caltex.
Offer 2: Win 300,000 Qantas Points for a Dell purchase
This promotion is only open to Qantas Business Rewards members—join free here.
There is one prize of 300,000 Qantas Points available—here are some ideas for the best uses of Qantas Points.
For every $1 you spend, you’ll get one competition entry.
The promo started on Boxing Day and runs until 31 January.
Read the full terms and conditions if you are interested.
And here is the link to the Dell Work Solutions website.
That’s on top of the regular earn rate of 3 Qantas Points per $ spent on Dell products.
- January 2018: 20,000 Business Rewards Points for opening Caltex StarCard fuel card and spending $300 within three months
- January 2018: Win 300,000 Qantas Points for a Dell purchase
- May 2017: Bonus points on Samsung TV and smartphone purchases
- April 2017: 10,000 Business Rewards Points for opening Caltex StarCard fuel card
- April 2017: 50% Status Credits bonus on travel until June 2017