Marriott Hotels is the biggest hotel chain in the world, with over 7,000 properties, including The Ritz-Carlton. They offer a solid loyalty program called Marriott Bonvoy that features a huge range of airline transfer partners.
Note that peak pricing came into effect in September, meaning that the program has moved from having one price for each hotel category to three (off-peak/standard/peak), depending on your dates.
This guide takes a look at regular Marriott Bonvoy ‘buy points’ offers and is continuously updated as new offers are announced.
Get a 50% bonus when you buy 2,000+ points: deal ↠
This is the fourth buy points promotion since the launch of these promos a year ago. Whilst previous promotions have offered a discount, this one is different in offering a bonus. At this level, this offer has Bonvoy points at their cheapest price yet.
The bonus is tiered as follows:
- 1,000: no bonus
- 2,000-50,000 points: 50% bonus
This yields a cost of 0.83 US cents per point, which is ~1.25 AU cents. That’s right around our valuation of Marriott Bonvoy points of 1.2c per point, meaning this could be a good opportunity to buy points speculatively but best if you have a specific redemption in mind. Remember, they are the most flexible points currency in the game, able to be converted into most frequent flyer programs, including Qantas and Velocity.
The price of 0.83 US cents per point is the same whether you buy 2,000 points or 50,000.
Note also that you can double your annual limit with this offer. The annual maximum for purchased points has been raised from 50,000 points to 100,000 points (excluding bonus points). Note that you’ll just need to make two transactions of 50,000 points each if you want to max it out.
This promotion ends on 25 March US time.
Fly Business Class one-way to the US for under $1,500
Instead of the regular price of 55,000 miles, you can fly Business Class between Australia and Los Angeles or San Francisco for only 40,000 miles—that’s a steal at 30% off an already cheap redemption! Plus, you can get a free stopover on Fiji on the way there or back.
Buy taking advantage of this promotion, you’d be paying ~AU$1,460 for a one-way Business Class redemption to the US, including taxes of AU$150 on the way there (it’s half that coming home).
Here’s how you’d do it:
- Check for availability on your desired date/s and route on the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan website—only buy the points if you can confirm there are award seats
- Buy 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points (plus 25,000 bonus points) for US$625
- In another transaction, buy another 20,000 Marriott Bonvoy points (plus 10,000 bonus points) for US$250
- You now have 105,000 Marriott Bonvoy points
- Convert 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy points to 25,000 Mileage Plan miles (included is a 5,000 bonus from Marriott)
- In another transaction, convert the remaining 45,000 Marriott Bonvoy points to 15,000 Mileage Plan miles (no bonus)
- You now have 40,000 Mileage Plan miles
- Book your Fiji Airways redemption through the Mileage Plan website
You must book by 29 February for travel anytime over the next year.
|Date||Discount (%)||Bonus (%)||Price per point (US cents)|
Important things to keep in mind
- Allow 24-48 hours for the transaction to be completed and the points to land in your account
- A new member may purchase points 30 days after enrollment if their Marriott Bonvoy account has some earn activity; if not, after 90 days from enrollment, a new member is eligible to purchase points regardless of their account activity
The Marriott Bonvoy program devalued in 2018. However, the flexibility of their points means that it continues to be a valuable currency, especially if you can grab them during a promotion.