I’m currently a member of both Qantas Frequent Flyer and Velocity, basic status with each one. My company allows us to fly with both Virgin and Qantas, but provides us with Qantas Club membership, making Qantas the preferred option generally. As such, I’m currently holding the ANZ QFF Black Cards and earning QFF points directly.
I’m expecting to do a large amount of domestic travel (mostly between Mel and Syd) over the next 2 years but potentially some travel to the US/EU and internal flights in US/EU after that point.
The Point Hacks email course alerted me to the potential of instead directing credit card spend to Cathay Asia Miles, as they seem to have far better redemption rates on both domestic and international flights than Qantas and allow for flexible credit card rewards programs.
However, as my travel is mostly domestic for now, I am concerned that my short, economy flights won’t earn many Asis Miles and that any flights I redeem through Asia Miles would not earn me any status credits in the QFF program?
Am I better off sticking to solely earning QFF points and status credits? Or should I be considering trying to earn Asiamiles?
Bit confused as to how these two schemes work together and would appreciate any advice!
Good question. You are understandably trying to trade off/assess the best combination of status, points earn and redemption. It’s not simple.
I guess one thing that comes to mind that influence an answer is whether your Qantas travel is likely to be enough to earn you Gold with Qantas, or just Silver/keep you as a base member?
Thanks for the reply Keith!
I think my domestic Qantas travel should be enough to earn Gold Status (At least!). I would estimate 30-40% of the year, I would be taking 2 flights a week on flexible economy.
What I’m thinking about is:
1) Continuing to earn status and points with Qantas from business trips
2) Using these points to upgrade personal domestic flights
3) Instead of a QFF Dedicated credit card, getting a credit card with flexible points redemptions which I could redeem for Either AsiaMiles (for better value redemptions on personal flights – particularly internationally) or SPG Points
– Would any flights I redeem with AsiaMiles earn Qantas Status Points?
- You must login to post comments