Hi, I am very new to all the points and different programmes. We have a lot of AMEX points and are going to Japan later in the year. We want to book a JAL flight so my question is can I transfer the points to Cathay’s Air Miles then book or upgrade our flights on JAL? Thanks
JAL and CX are both part of the One World alliance, so yes I think CX points can be used for a JAL flight. CX points can be used only to book a JAL flight, but not to request an upgrade.
My recommended steps are:
- open Cathay Pacific Air Miles account
- call Air Miles and find how many points are required for a economy/business flight for Aus to Japan
- Find a suitable award space seat on the required date(s)
- Transfer sufficient AMEX points to Cathay Pacific (allow a couple of days for this to go through)
- Use Cathay Pacific Air Miles site or call them, to make the booking